Day 11 – Chalon-sur-Saone to Choisy

The days are passing quickly and it’s hard to believe it was 2 weeks ago that I was collecting my USA riding friends from London Heathrow. Since then we have crossed the English Channel, cycled to Saint-Nazaire for the start of our ride across Europe and now, we are coming to the end of our travels in France and will be arriving in Switzerland on Sunday.  I have cycled more miles in the past 10 days than I did in the first 4 months of this year, but I’m now feeling strong and very much enjoying the daily routine and the company of my fellow riders.

We left Chalon-sur-Saone shortly after 08:30 and headed out of town.  The weather for today’s ride was that we could hit rain at some point so I guess we were all mentally prepared that we were going to get wet during the day.

For much of the day we continued to follow the River Saone or the Canal du Central and most of the ride was flat with very little climbing.  After about 20 miles the rain started and Roger, MaryClare, Lou and I decided to take shelter at the gates to this old house. MaryClare rested her bike against the gates thinking that they had not be opened for a very long time.  All of a sudden, the gates started to open, MaryClare grabbed her bike and then the owners of the property arrived having used their remote control to open their gates a little way down the road. They exchanged pleasantries, passed through and the gates closed behind them.  All rather bizarre/funny really.

The rain eventually eased a little and we decided to ride on and for the next few miles got wet, meeting up with Paul and Kris a little way up the road who had also decided to take shelter. We arrived at Seurre around noon and found a Boulangerie for lunch.

The afternoon was back riding on the banks of the canal but keeping a very close eye on the threatening black clouds that seemed to be following us. We were fortunate that we were able to stay ahead of them and arrived at our hotel, the Ibis in Choisy, shortly before 16:00.

Tonight we ate dinner at the hotel and tomorrow we have another potentially wet ride but the forecast is very hit and miss so we may, if we are lucky, stay dry.